How can a visit to a hair salon help your mental health? If your mood could use a lift, take a look at what salon services can do for your psychological state.
Whether work, school, family obligations, your relationship, your friendships, or anything else in your life causes excess stress, a trip to the salon can help you to relax. A hair cut, color, style, or other similar services:
- Provides a break from everyday life. Are you on the go all day long? A salon visit provides you with time to stop, relax, and forget about everything else you have going on in your life.
- Allows someone else to care for you. Does it seem like you're always the caregiver or the person in charge? Take a step back, schedule a salon haircare service, and let someone else pamper you.
- Encourages relaxation. A scalp massage is a relaxing part of many hair cut, color, and styling processes. You can close your eyes, enjoy the massage, and feel a sense of calm wash over you.
Even though the ability to de-stress is a major psychological benefit of a salon visit, it isn't the only reason to schedule a beauty-based service. Along with the stress-reducing reasons to visit your stylist, these types of services can also boost your overall mood.
According to research published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, hair care services increased the positive aspects of mood and decreased negative ones in 359 female participants. Along with an overall mood boost, a trip to the salon may:
- Improve self-esteem. Your new hairdo can increase self-esteem, making you feel better about yourself and life in general. This offers a much-needed mood boost—especially if you haven't had a cut, color, or style in a while.
- Provide talk therapy. While the hairstylist may not have a degree in psychology, the chance to talk out problems or vent to an impartial third party can lift your spirits and help to eliminate negative thoughts.
- Offer companionship. Social interactions can increase some aspects of a positive mood. A friendly stylist will spend time with you, providing plenty of companionship during your salon visit.
To maximize the mood-boosting effects of a hair service or visit, choose a salon with a positive atmosphere. This includes friendly stylists who offer open, warm advice to you, other clients, and each other. If it's time for some self-care, make an appointment with a local hair salon.